The Inedible Journey

A quirky pile of ramblings

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

August 10th ~ Stubborn is as stubborn does...



My middle son can be found in Webster's Dictionary under the word "stubborn".

I love him dearly. He is a brilliant, over-emotional, very competitive, pre-teen.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Repeatedly bashing my head against the wall is starting to sound like a good option. Wait....I think I already do that.

You know how there are glass half-full and glass half-empty people? How does a glass half-full mom reach a glass half-empty kid? He's not an unhappy kid....he's just cynical and sees the negative before the positive.

I find myself snapping at him angrily when he digs his heels in and becomes unreasonably stubborn over every small thing in life. This is of course after first trying to lighten him up. I guess I probably become more angry with myself for being unable to reach him than I actually am with him.

He has a wonderful sense of humor, loves all body parts that make noise, has the biggest smile and best laugh (when he is relaxed and not fighting me over something). He's a spectacular student, and well behaved at the homes of our family and his friends (unless he knows the adult REALLY well....then he feel comfortable pushing them into a state of insanity with his stubbornness too).

I think it's a power play....a form of manipulation.....a way of asserting that he is different from his barely older, older brother. (They share a LOT of interests, friends and activities.)

I need to find him his own thing to excel in. I'm sure that would help. Perhaps if he just had his own space to shine in.....where no siblings are in his way to compete with......something that he discovers he loves doing.....

Wish me luck finding it. I'm open to suggestions.


7 Comments:

  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger I n g e r said…

    Hm. How old is he? I grew up that way--the "depressive" one, though really I was just contemplative, and liked to play the piano, which everybody took to be an insular expression when really it was my way of connection to other people. Blah, blah, blah.

    I think you have to let him be glass-half-empty, until he doesn't need that strategy anymore, for whatever reason. (Could he be doing it to separate himself from you, even? I did that with my mother (she's half-full, too), though I can't explain it now; I adore her now and did then as well.)

    Ach, they're enigmas, these kids...

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Inger,

    He's 11 1/2...and not really "depressive"...more of a contrarian (sp?). He just tends to "fight" us in all things..from changing into a clean shirt now and then to anything less complicated or more complicated than that.

    I think you're right though....I need to be able to let him be how he is. It aint easy though! It probably is a form of separation.

    Does your glass-full mom have any lasting body ticks from raising you..her glass-empty daughter? :) Can I call her? LOL Just kidding.

    I'm glad you adore her now....that's reassuring.

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Webmiztris said…

    he's bound to find his niche on his own... :) maybe playing an instrument??? I started playing guitar around that age. I got pretty good too! Then I gave it up. D'OH!!!

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My grandson is 11, and I listened to my daughter say pretty much the same things you're saying about your son. I think finding him something he can excel in is a good idea -- for my grandson it's piano and karate. Otherwise, it's the preteen thing -- just know it only lasts a few years, not forever.

    good luck!
    gina
    http://findingmygroove.blog-city.com

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said…

    Dawn and Gina,

    After reading your replies I'm thinking maybe music IS the thing. We already have a piano that no one here knows how to play. Or I can drag out my old guitar and teach him Kum By Yah. LOL He's already in Karate...but so are his brother and sister...so it isn't his own thing.

    Thank you all for the support and suggestions.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    knowing your son as I do, I was SURE you were going to say that, there are glass half-empty, glass half-full people and then your son, who wants to know if there really is a glass, and if so what is the liquid in it, and what is the measurements of the glass so we coud scientifically determine whether it truly is half full or empty because really, it is gonna be one or the other so stop saying it can be both. That's your son. ;)

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lisray,

    It's nice to know that you "understand" him. :) No wonder he is so comfortable at your house. lol Actually, thanks for your insight...some of what you said cleared some of my worried thoughts.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home