The Inedible Journey

A quirky pile of ramblings

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

February 21st ~ Her slumps her slumps have transformed into humps



Like the title of this post? lol

(Side note: Why can't the Black Eyed Peas write something my 7 year old daughter can sing to without causing me to go gray? Just wondering... lol)

Anyway....so....I was in a slump for quite some time. It was a combination of things, some I've written about, some I haven't. But it has been rough. And I felt as though the whole world could tell....could see on my face....that I was strung out and not my normal self. What happened to Happy Trudy? Where did the relaxed, cheerful me go? Was this menopause? Was I just becoming old and cranky? Had I morphed into Witchy Woman, or what?

I kept asking hubby, but he said he hadn't noticed. (I think that was his survival instinct kicking in.) The kids were always asking me, "What's wrong, Mom?" so I KNEW they were picking up on it. Finally, I asked a couple of close friends. One had noticed the change for about a year (which was startling...but reassuring in an odd way). And the other noticed it in a lesser way, but probably a more significant one. She commented that when she used to see me driving by with the kids, I appeared serene and queen-like, with a small smile always on my face.....and she'd noticed that I'd lost that expression.

Well sheeeeeeesh....that was it! I'd lost my inner queen, dammit!

I decided that the first thing I needed to do was to make a real commitment to myself to health and fitness. That was my "Today" post of a couple weeks ago, and I'm still reading it to myself daily and sticking to it as best I can. And then I decided I needed a "pick-me-up" starting with my hair (that I'd begun to hate).

I've never colored or highlighted my hair before...but I decided I needed to throw caution to the wind....put myself in someone else's hands...and just go for it.

I asked the haggard looking stylist to make me younger. (She looked like she needed a little pampering herself, so I panicked that I may have said the wrong thing.) She didn't have the liposuction equipment set up in the salon, dammit. What happened to the one-stop-shopping concept? Anyway, I digress. So she suggested a perm first. I'm thinking poodle....and she swears on the life of her ancestors that I will not look like a poodle.

Wait....

Aren't her ancestors already dead?

Was that an empty promise?

By the time I'd figured that out, I was covered in big purple rods and stinking like a chemical plant.

When she took them out, and I looked in the mirror....I was stressed. My hair had been very long...
(dead ends ....dry.....crappy looking...but long)...below my bra strap..and now it was only a couple of inches below my shoulder..and layered. Did my face look fat? What would happen when those curls dried?

She was smiling like she'd created a masterpiece....and I was sweating with "What have I done?" stench.

I paid her and left a bigger tip than any rational person completely-in-love-with-their-hair would have, because I didn't want her to think I didn't like it. I was proving that I loved it. After making an appointment for a hair color the next week (because, yes Imma Whackjob), I got into the car and tried to think positively.

Miraculously, as my hair dried in the car, the curls were soft and flattering and I did look younger. (wipes brow in relief)

Are you wondering about the color/highlights? How can slumps turn into humps? That will have to be part two because the kids aren't dressed for school and I haven't made lunches....God, do I even have bread? What the heck am I on the computer?? arrrrrrgh Oh yeah...the rush of being behind. I forgot. (snort)

5 Comments:

  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger RED QUILT MAKER said…

    Some new curls and some new color, works for me.

    I also find a "little chiffon to soften the neck" works for me too.

    rQm

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said…

    Ahhh chiffon...that will be next on the agenda! I knew you'd understand, RQM :)

    I may glue filtered lenses to all of the cameras in the house too. I'll land somewhere between a brunette Doris Day and Cybill Shepherd in Moonlighting

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger sttropezbutler said…

    Change is good for the soul.

    STB

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger CrackerLilo said…

    I would love that song so much if it weren't for the lyrics! Seriously, the word "lumps" is so unappetizing.

    Anyway, I'm glad you feel prettier. :-)

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger BostonPobble said…

    Change is good. I always feel better after treating myself. Good for yoU!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home