The Inedible Journey

A quirky pile of ramblings

Saturday, October 07, 2006

October 7th ~ 20 outta 20

My 12 yr old son came home from school yesterday so excited that he scored 20 out of 20 on his essay. I thought I'd post it here because I loved it! He's so funny!
Bugs Got Your Tongue?

When I was in the 2nd grade my mom bought me a joke book, and my brother seemed particularly interested in it. The prank that he felt was the funniest was one where you use rubber ice cubes with fake bugs in them and put them in someone’s drink as a joke. Unfortunately, we didn’t have any rubber ice cubes. Or fake bugs. That didn’t stop my brother!
I saw him outside later that day collecting bugs. I didn’t know why. I figured he was just playing around in the dirt so I just kept playing outside as though I had seen nothing.
At least an hour passed before I figured out what he was doing.
“Hey Mom, you want a Diet Coke?” I heard him ask my mom.
“Really?” she said, sounding quite surprised that he was offering to bring her a drink.
“Yeah, I’ll even put it in a glass with ice!”
“Okay! Thanks, honey!” she said to him.
My mom was folding laundry and watching a movie when my brother brought her the Diet Coke. He brought it to her in a big wine glass.
“Thank you, sweetie,” she said and then took a sip of the drink.
“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” she screamed! There were earwigs in her mouth and on her tongue. He had done what most people wouldn’t imagine doing. He thought he was going to play a funny prank on our mom, so he’d gathered the bugs and put them in ice cube trays with water and placed them in the freezer. Unfortunately, being that he was only about 8 years old, he didn’t realize how long it takes for ice to actually freeze solid. He waited until the cubes looked frozen, but as soon as the ice cubes hit the diet coke they began melting. There was only a thin layer that was actually frozen.
He felt really bad! He didn’t notice that the bugs were alive and swimming in the drink rather than looking creepy in an ice cube like he saw in the book!
My mom was not happy. (Although she thought it was funny later after she forgot about the feeling of bugs’ feet on her tongue.)
She made him go on his bed for an hour and gave him an hour-long lecture. She was madder than we had ever seen her. Can you blame her?
Her friends were amazed (she told all of them). (In fact, she still tells people about it.)
We all still bug her (even Dad) by asking her, “Do you want a Diet Coke?” Even though I never actually did anything, I still enjoy bugging her. (“Bugging”, get it? Ha! Ha!)To this day my Mom always gets herself her own drinks.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First of all...good writing!! Second, I'm torn between "OMG Yuck" and "Tooooo Funny!!"

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger sjobs said…

    That was a wonderful story. It was so funny and I think I would kill Kiran if she ever did that.

    It is good to see you back with us.

    Mary

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger I n g e r said…

    I would have KILLED him!! (But how am I not surprised that one of your kids has a wicked enough sense of humor to try something like that--and the other has a wicked enough one to write about it!)

    I swear, I've missed your tales! Happy fall!

    xo Inger

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger WarriorM said…

    Too funny, although I would've freaked out if one of my boys did that. Sometimes I swear it's their whole life's goal to pull a prank on me. They try by putting rubber spiders on the stearing wheel, but I'm on to them!

    It's good to have you back! Someday soon I will actually blog again...sigh...

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger BostonPobble said…

    This is HYSTERICAL. Disgusting ~ yet hysterical!

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    holy crap, you're back!

    i loved that story, by the way!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home