The Inedible Journey

A quirky pile of ramblings

Saturday, April 01, 2006

April 1st ~ An April Fool




I have been a bit blog blocked lately, but I was thinking in honor of April 1st:

What is your most embarrassing moment?

Here is mine:

When hubby and I were first married (16+ years ago) we had some close friends and their baby move in with us for about a week. They were having their hardwood floors refinished and needed a fume-free place to stay.

Now, I pride myself on being a gracious hostess.

But my 24/7 hostess gene has an expiration date.

4 days

I'm a great hostess for 4 days.

After that....my abilities curdle like old milk.

It's not that I become rude.....it's just that I'm no longer enjoying it in quite the same way...and I don't feel as eager to make sure everyone is having a great time.

SO anyway, our friends and their baby moved in for a week. We had a blast, great meals, fun conversations, cute baby experiences (we didn't have our own munchkins yet), shared laughter, etc etc etc

for 4 days.

On day 5 I woke up missing my privacy, missing alone time with hubby, missing feeling "kidless" and free.

I'd babysat our friend's baby a few times while they stayed with us.....like any good 4-Day hostess would. On the morning of Day 5 ( a Saturday), they asked if I'd take care of her again for a few hours.

Of course, I agreed....because I don't know how to say no.

But within 15 seconds...I was regretting it.

Now please.....know this.....I'm an honest person. I have tons of integrity...I don't lie....but I was desperate. Not that its an excuse, mind you.

"I just need to call my office to make sure they don't need me. I'm on call."

(lie lie lie)

So I went into my bedroom.........picked up the phone.....faked a phone call to the office.......said loudly, "Oh! Ok...I'll be there in an hour! I understand." And I knew that our friends properly overheard me.....

except I made one mistake.

As I was "talking" on the phone I made the mistake of leaving my finger on the "hang up" button.

And the phone rang.

Loudly!

Right in the middle of my lying fake conversation!

I was never so embarrassed!

"WOW! That was weird! I've never had the phone ring while I'm talking before! Hello? Hello?"

They knew.

But they were kind enough not to humiliate me further.

Maybe they noticed my expiration date and had pity on me. I'm still hot with embarrassment over it all these years later.

Anyone wanna come over for 4 days?

14 Comments:

  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger Dear AL said…

    You %&$#@! And I was thinking about coming over for a month!

    Hope you're having a nice weekend! About time you wrote something!

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As my Dad use to say, "Company and fish smell after three days."

    You are one day better than me :)

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger G-Man said…

    OKAY...that was FUNNY as hell!

    This is too wierd. I am planning a trip to visit some friends next week in AZ. I sam staying for 3 full days.

    Somebody else told me that company and fish smell after three days! Did ben franklin say that?

     
  • At 6:30 AM, Blogger sttropezbutler said…

    Funny funny funny.

    You're great..and four days is long enough!

    STB

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger Heidi said…

    OMG too funny and very embarrassing..Your a trooper!

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger CrackerLilo said…

    I just cracked up laughing! I'd probably have ended up in the same situation! :-D

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger lastlifeinmyuniverse said…

    LOL. i wouldve shrugged and said, "this phone comes with a timer and look, it just went off"

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Webmiztris said…

    lmao! omg, trudy, that is hysterical! that would be just my luck too!

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger sjobs said…

    I am sitting laughing, that is something that would happen to me.

    I tend to have those limits also, even when I am out of town. I find 5 days a perfect amount of time to be away.

    Have wonderful week.

    Thanks for the laugh.

    Mary

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said…

    Al...bite me :) lol Have a great week.

    Kl...you're Dad was wise in so many ways. :) Part of what makes you so magnificent. :) xoxoxo

    g-man...just don't forget to LEAVE after 3 or 4 days! lol

    STB... I agree about the 4 days...I feel the same way about beign a guest in someone's home. 4 days is all I can do...for their sake and mine! lol I'm a great "we'll stay in a hotel" guest after that. lol

    Heidi...lol Hey are you going to start another story?

    Shawna! ... I had almost the same thing happen to me in H.S. ! LOL You're a riot!

    Crackers...glad I'm not alone~ lol

    Last...hahaha I'm not that quick in my comebacks!

    Dawn...lol I can see it happening to you too!

    Mary... hahaha :) I guess we all have our limits! Happy week to you too.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Instantiable said…

    Wow, that made my jaw drop. Good story.

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice site!
    [url=http://cpgaukqg.com/huzq/ptkc.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://rwppckrp.com/adam/dcwf.html]Cool site[/url]

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great work!
    My homepage | Please visit

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice site!
    http://cpgaukqg.com/huzq/ptkc.html | http://visgrptq.com/dayn/klqf.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home